The making of a motivational mini-wheat

Accord­ing to our Hoops and Yoyo cal­en­dar, Sep­tem­ber is break­fast mon­th! It is also back-to-school / end-of-vaca­tion mon­th! So! Mr. Mini-Wheat is here to help stick moti­va­tion­al mes­sages on the fridge.

It is, as you might be able to tell, inspired by the talk­ing frost­ed Mini-Wheats. I’m not a big fan of Mini-Wheat myself (a bit too fibery for me), but I’m extra fond of the­se talk­ing Mini-Wheats because they remind me of the comic strips Mike used to draw.

I made a reg­u­lar sug­ary one and a straw­ber­ry one :D It would be fun to also make the brown sug­ar one and the new blue­ber­ry muffin flavour.

Here’s what I used:

Heavy duty jute twine (I would like to use a thin­ner twine, but that was all I could find at the dol­lar store).

6mm and 5mm hooks.

A small square of white felt, and dou­ble lay­er of a bit of pink fab­ric cut from a retired t-shirt (because I didn’t have pink felt).

Sewing thread in black, white, and pink.

Sewing needles.

Two mag­nets.

And here’s what I did:

Twine is very stiff and knots can become undone eas­i­ly, leav­ing a longish tail in the begin­ning pre­vents the piece from com­ing apart. Also, I cro­cheted rather loose­ly through­out because the stitch­es are more tight when doing rows of slip stitch­es and, on top of that, twine doesn’t stretch.

Leav­ing a tail about 4″ long, ch 6.

Row 1: ch 1, sl st in each ch across through back loops only, ch 1, turn.

Row 2–4: sl st in each sl st across through back loops only, ch 1, turn.

Row 5: sl st in each sl st across through back loops only. Leav­ing a tail about 12″ long for sewing, fas­ten off.

Now I have a rec­tan­gle. It will be fold­ed in half and the short sides sewn togeth­er.

cro­chet com­plete!

Then I cut out small pieces of the white and pink fab­ric and embroi­dered faces on them with black thread.

hel­lo, world!

I then sewed the frost­ing faces onto the cro­cheted pieces before fold­ing the pieces in half and sewing the side edges togeth­er.

fibery wheat…

I actu­al­ly didn’t quite “sew” the edges togeth­er. Because I didn’t have a needle with a big enough eye, I used the small­er cro­chet hook to thread the tail through the loops down the edges.

I only “sewed” one side togeth­er, leav­ing the top and bot­tom seams open. I weaved all the loose ends into the top and bot­tom open­ings.

And then I attached a mag­net on the back. And here they are, on the fridge! (They’re about 1″ tall.)

And a moti­va­tion­al mes­sage wait­ing to be found…

Hap­py Sep­tem­ber, every­one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookPin on PinterestShare on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page

One thought on “The making of a motivational mini-wheat

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *