I have a weakness for sparkly things. A couple of years ago I shared a tutorial for making sparkly earrings with buttons. After being inspired by these earrings by Happiness is Creating, AND finally buying myself a bottle of Mod Podge Dimensional Magic (with a Michaels 50% off one regular item coupon), I found a new and improved way of making sparkly earrings :D
1 clean kitchen sponge
4mm earring posts with backings
sparkly nail polish (I got a Sally Hansen “Ice Queen” and a “Big Teal” from the dollar store)
Mod Podge Dimensional Magic
a dash of patience
1. Stick the earring posts into the sponge so it stands upright
2. Apply a coat of sparkly nail polish to the posts (I put the teal one on first). Let dry for half hour (this is where the patience comes in… there’re lots of small steps with long stretch of waiting in between)
3. Repeat step 2 a couple more times.
4. When the nail polish is completely dried (I suggest drying overnight after final coat, because the nail polish does build up to a bit of a dome on its own, and while the top layer has harden, the layers underneath may remain soft and take a while to dry), apply dimensional magic, wait a couple of hours, apply second coat to create as full of a dome shape as possible without the glaze running over.
5. Let dry overnight, and it’s done! :D
Here’s a super macro picture of them…
I’m not sure if Mod Podge is waterproof so I would avoid wearing them in the shower. But I’m quite happy with how they turned out :) I like that they’re a lot smaller than my other sparkly earrings tutorial.
Have a bright and beautiful weekend!